public inbox for elfutils@sourceware.org
From: Milian Wolff <mail@milianw.de>
To: elfutils-devel@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: symbol resolution differences with -flto
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 15:14:09 +0200	[thread overview]

On Freitag, 15. April 2022 14:09:02 CEST Milian Wolff wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> a user reported broken symbol resolution in hotspot/perfparser which uses
> elfutils when he's using it on code compiled with LTO.
>
> I think I can reproduce this, and now spent some time trying to figure out
> the breakage. I found at least one situation that is seemingly related to
> the user's issue. Below are some observation of mine and then some
> questions, as I cannot explain this situation and hope that someone around
> here has more knowledge on how to handle this correctly.

To answer my own question: The issue arises for functions with debug
information that are not exported. Those won't have an entry in the symbol
table, but by looking at the dwarf information we can still assign them a
scope name from the respective DIEs, just like one would do for inline frames
too.

Cheers
--
Milian Wolff