public inbox for elfutils@sourceware.org
From: Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org>
To: "Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@redhat.com>, elfutils-devel@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: PATCH: PR27784 debuginfod: notify interactive clients one time about usage
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 15:19:32 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Frank,

On Thu, 2021-04-29 at 14:44 -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler via Elfutils-devel
wrote:
> Another request from fedora fesco.  (I don't have anything else on
> the queue for the next elfutils release.)
>
> commit be5ebebb1f12134b673c5b8cbede62390d077b0d
> Author: Frank Ch. Eigler <fche@redhat.com>
> Date:   Thu Apr 29 14:34:06 2021 -0400
>
>     PR27784 debuginfod: notify interactive clients one time about usage
>
>     Because debuginfod-client functionality makes a user dependent on the
>     correct operation of remote debuginfod server, it was suggested that
>     new users be notified of this.  This patch adds a one-time
>     notification to stderr if it isatty(), commemorated by a new cache
>     notify_p file.  (It cannot easily be tested because our test scripts
>     run without pty/tty enclosure.)

I cannot say I am a fan of the library being the one to do this check,
especially not with the sleep (3) in it. It also is not really
accurate, it only shows the debuginfod server URLs the first time they
are set, not when they are changed. I would hide this behind
DEBUGINFOD_VERBOSE=1 but that already shows the URLs anyway.

If there is such a "notification" then it should be from the actual
application using the library IMHO. Or when installing a profile if it
provides default DEBUGINFOD_URLS.

Cheers,

Mark