public inbox for elfutils@sourceware.org
From: Ravi Bangoria <ravi.bangoria@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
To: elfutils-devel@lists.fedorahosted.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] elfutils: Checks for debuginfo file without .debug extension as well
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 15:07:09 +0530	[thread overview]

HI Mark,

Thanks for giving detailed analysis. Please find my comments.

On Wednesday 17 February 2016 09:19 PM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi Ravi,
>
> My apologies for being slightly confused. I think what you are proposing
> with your patch is the right thing. I am just slightly confused because
> I thought the current code already did what you are proposing. So the
> current code doesn't actually do what I thought it did :)
>
> I have attached a simplified version of what I believe systemtap is
> doing. It is a two step process. First it calls
> dwfl_linux_kernel_report_offline to get the kernel file itself. Second
> it gets the Dwarf for the kernel module, which should trigger
> find_debuginfo to find the separate debug file, if needed.

Thanks for the sample program. I can see it tries to simulate what
systemtap do.
Here is the output on ubunut powerpc.

Without patch:

   # ./dwfl_find_kernel
   Finding kernel release: 3.13.0-76-generic
   Debuginfo path: +:.debug:/usr/lib/debug
   setup report modname: kernel, filename: /boot/vmlinux-3.13.0-76-generic
   setup report modname: xfrm_user, filename:
/lib/modules/3.13.0-76-generic/kernel/net/xfrm/xfrm_user.ko
   Found kernel file: /boot/vmlinux-3.13.0-76-generic
   getdwarf name: kernel
   kernel without DWARF
   Couldn't get kernel DWARF

With patch:

   # ./dwfl_find_kernel
   Finding kernel release: 3.13.0-76-generic
   Debuginfo path: +:.debug:/usr/lib/debug
   setup report modname: kernel, filename: /boot/vmlinux-3.13.0-76-generic
   setup report modname: xfrm_user, filename:
/lib/modules/3.13.0-76-generic/kernel/net/xfrm/xfrm_user.ko
   Found kernel file: /boot/vmlinux-3.13.0-76-generic
   getdwarf name: kernel
   mainfile: /boot/vmlinux-3.13.0-76-generic, debugfile:
/usr/lib/debug/boot/vmlinux-3.13.0-76-generic
   Found kernel DWARF file: /usr/lib/debug/boot/vmlinux-3.13.0-76-generic

> It still doesn't show the full search path (for that we should hack
> find_debuginfo_in_path and try_open in libdwfl/find-debuginfo.c a bit),
> but it should be a start to better understand why the current search
> isn't finding the separate kernel debug file.

Sry, I'm little bit confused in your last two paragraphs.

1. Does this means change I've proposed is at wrong place i.e.
find_debuginfo
is not correct place to change?

2. I'm not able to understand why kernel module came into picture here.
when we do
         probe kernel.function("do_fork") {...}
stap looks for kernel debuginfo only, right?

Regards,
Ravi