public inbox for elfutils@sourceware.org
From: Magne Hov <mhov@undo.io>
To: "Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@redhat.com>
Cc: elfutils-devel@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Specifying CA certificates for libdebuginfod
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 17:16:03 +0100	[thread overview]

Thank you for your reply, and apologies about getting back to you so late.

On Fri, May 28 2021, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> Hi -
>
> On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 06:36:17PM +0100, Magne Hov via Elfutils-devel wrote:
>> [...]
>> Other components that my application uses already have ways of
>> specifying a certificate bundle. [...]
>> There is also an option of recognising CURL_CA_BUNDLE as that
>> environment variable is already established by the curl tool, but it
>> could also be good to keep the name separate to libdebuginfod.
>
> Sure; I have no strong opinion on this.  ISTM of no particular
> advantage to invent a debuginfod-oriented env var for this,
> as opposed to reusing "CURL_CA_BUNDLE" (but not "SSL_CERT_DIR"
> or "SSL_CERT_FILE", right?).

The exact name of the environment variable is not important to me. I
have no problem reusing "CURL_CA_BUNDLE".

I wanted to share my patch in case other people found it useful, but for
the time being I'm content with patching my own builds. I'm also not
sure what the best approach is for deciding on a name for this
environment variable. It might be best to leave this issue until the
feature is potentially wanted by more users?