public inbox for elfutils@sourceware.org
* Indent and formatting of elfutils
@ 2020-11-09 16:33 Navin P
From: Navin P @ 2020-11-09 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: elfutils-devel

Hi,
   I'm trying to compile elfutils with clang.
   I haven't written new code but moved code around. In this process source
code formatting is lost when I moved couple of functions.

Do you have any indent settings or clang-format or any auto settings ?

Regards,
Navin

* Re: Indent and formatting of elfutils
@ 2020-11-09 17:21 ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2020-11-09 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Navin P, elfutils-devel

Hi Navin,

On Mon, 2020-11-09 at 22:03 +0530, Navin P via Elfutils-devel wrote:
>    I'm trying to compile elfutils with clang.
>    I haven't written new code but moved code around. In this process source
> code formatting is lost when I moved couple of functions.
>
> Do you have any indent settings or clang-format or any auto settings ?

Unfortunately (last time we checked) clang didn't support enough of the
gnu99 standard to build elfutils. See the following comment for our
configure check:

# We use -std=gnu99 but have explicit checks for some language constructs
# and GNU extensions since some compilers claim GNU99 support, but don't
# really support all language extensions. In particular we need
# Mixed Declarations and Code
# https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Mixed-Declarations.html
# Nested Functions
# https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Nested-Functions.html
# Arrays of Variable Length
# https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Variable-Length.html

You might want to poke the clang developers to make sure they support
those extended GNU C language features. As soon as they do, the
configure check should succeed and you should be able to use the clang
tools to build stuff.

Cheers,

Mark