Ulf, My only other suggestion for avoiding manually specifying O_BINARY and O_TEXT would be to override the open call on Windows and use O_BINARY as the default and switch to O_TEXT on a condition. Maybe that condition could be based on the file signature or some other analysis of the file contents. Probably not the most efficient or deterministic solution, but it's the only alternative I can think of. Specifying O_BINARY and O_TEXT is probably the better option. Gnulib states that O_BINARY and O_TEXT are "essential for portability to native Windows platforms" https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/manual/html_node/fcntl_002eh.html Best, Colin ________________________________ From: Ulf Hermann Sent: Friday, September 15, 2023 01:57 To: McAllister, Colin ; elfutils-devel@sourceware.org Subject: Re: Building Elfutils with Mingw32 CAUTION - EXTERNAL EMAIL: Do not click any links or open any attachments unless you trust the sender and know the content is safe. Indeed I have noticed the other patches, but I don't think they are the same as mine. So, now we have a three way merge. I guess some more of the changes could be merged if properly cleaned up and made to benefit other obscure platforms, too. However, there are a few I got a definite "no" for. In particular the windows dance around text/binary mode when opening files was not welcome. I couldn't come up with a better solution than adding an O_BINARY or O_TEXT to every single open() call. We actually need the distinction as some files need to be opened in text mode for the tests to pass. If you can come up with anything better here, please let me know. best regards, Ulf