public inbox for elfutils@sourceware.org
From: Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org>
To: libcurl development <curl-library@lists.haxx.se>
Cc: Catalin Raceanu <cra@mega.nz>, elfutils-devel@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Using libcurl in another library, when/if to call curl_global_init?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 15:19:51 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 04:00:16PM +0300, Catalin Raceanu via curl-library wrote:
> On 31-Mar-22 15:04, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > whether there is a thread-safe way to call
> > curl_global_init at a later time (to get rid of the library constructor
> > init function).
>
> I believe that this is an exact fit for C==11's std::call_once(). Boost also
> has an equivalent, that most likely predates the other, in case older c++
> standard is used.

Thanks. Our library is pure C, but we can probably rely on
pthread_once if it is allowable to call curl_global_init at a later
time when multiple threads are already running. The reason we aren't
doing that now is because the curl_global_init documentation
explicitly states "You must not call it when any other thread in the
program is running". But maybe we are interpreting the documentation
too strictly?

Are there examples of other libraries using libcurl which do this
global initialization lazily from which we can steal some code?

Thanks,

Mark