public inbox for elfutils@sourceware.org
From: Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org>
To: "Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek" <zbyszek@in.waw.pl>,
	"Luca Boccassi" <bluca@debian.org>
Cc: devel@lists.fedoraproject.org,
	systemd-devel@lists.freedesktop.org,
	 debhelper@packages.debian.org, binutils@sourceware.org,
	Lennart Poettering <lennart@poettering.net>,
	debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org,
	 "elfutils-devel@sourceware.org" <elfutils-devel@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: Storing package metadata in ELF objects
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 19:57:03 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

On Sat, 2021-04-10 at 18:44 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> [I'm forwarding the mail from Luca who is not subscribed to fedora-
> devel]
> On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 01:38:31PM +0100, Luca Boccassi wrote:
> Cross-posting to the mailing lists of a few relevant projects.

Note that in this version of the email the [N] references in your email
don't seem to point anywhere. I found an older variant of the same
email which contained:

[0] https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/18433
[1] https://systemd.io/COREDUMP_PACKAGE_METADATA/
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Package_information_on_ELF_objects
[3] https://github.com/systemd/package-notes

> After an initial discussion [0], recently we have been working on a new
> specification [0] to encode rich package-level metadata inside ELF
> objects, so that it can be included automatically in generated coredump
> files. The prototype to parse this in systemd-coredump and store the
> information in systemd-journal is ready for testing and merged
> upstream. We are now seeking further comments/opinions/suggestions, as
> we have a few months before the next release and thus there's plenty of
> time to make incompatible changes to the format and implementation, if
> required.
>
> A proposal to use this by default for all packages built in Fedora 35
> has been submitted [1].
>
> The Fedora Wiki and the systemd.io document have more details, but to
> make a long story short, a new .notes.package section with a JSON
> payload will be included in ELF objects, encoding various package-
> build-time information like distro name&version, package
> name&version,
> etc.

Is there a list of default keys (and their canonical spelling, upper-
lower-Camel_Case, etc.)? If there is, could we have a "debuginfod" key
with as value an URL pointing to the debuginfod server URL where the
embedded build-id executable, debuginfo and sources can be found?
https://sourceware.org/elfutils/Debuginfod.html