Hi, On Tue, 2019-11-19 at 16:22 -0500, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote: > On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 09:15:20PM +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote: > > > That's what the doc says. What the code does, as far back as the year > > > 2001, is have a static flag/counter in curl_global_init() that > > > prevents multiple initialization. > > > > But the warning isn't about multiple initialization. It is about > > initialization when other threads are running that might be using any > > of the libcurl support libraries. > > Since 2001, the curl_global_init function does nothing to interfere > with any libcurl activity, if the library is already initialized. Any > call to the normal libcurl functions first calls this function. I > guess I just fail to see a plausible problem scenario short of a > minuscule race over incrementing an initialization counter, which is a > race that every other libcurl user has accepted. But it isn't just about interference with other libcurl activity. If you look at the curl_global_init code you see that it actually calls a lot of code in other libraries. It is the curl_global_init code that shouldn't be run in a multi-threaded environment. That it is acceptable to others doesn't immediately make it safe to use in our case. We are slowly trying to make libdw.so into a multi-tread safe library and do expect it to be used in multi-threaded code. We aren't fully there yet. But it would be a shame to introduce more issues if we can prevent it. > > > > That is why I think doing the dlopen of libdebuginfod.so eagerly from a > > > > libdw.so constructor function or _init might be necessary to make sure > > > > no other threads are running yet. > > > > > > That's not even enough for "sure" - if we're so deep in the > > > hypotheticals hole, an application could be dlopen()ing libdw.so > > > itself. > > > > It could, but I think that would be unlikely. We can at least document > > that it is unsafe to use libdw.so with dlopen. But if it is done, > > could we detect it and not do the loading of libdebuginfod.so in that > > case? > > I don't know how to do that. I assume you mean the second part. The attached is what I would propose for the first part. Do you think that is a bad idea? Thanks, Mark