public inbox for elix@sourceware.org
* From darkness of ignorance
@ 1999-12-24 21:09 Bhushit Joshipura
From: Bhushit Joshipura @ 1999-12-24 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nickg, sehughes; +Cc: elix

Hello all,

Please put me to right track for the following bunch of thoughts:

0. Till now it was embedded and if had an OS, it had to be RT
1. Then we had WindowCE and RT blurred
2. And there are more non-realtime, priority based OS's emerging: PalmOS is
one more to consider. Till now Palm has not gone 'out of hand' but may go
anytime
3. Thus 'embedded' is getting bigger than 'RT' and calls for precise lining.
Soon we will be engulfed with products which are embedded but not so much RT

So, you must feel OK with the following points:
0. RTOS are going to become (or HAVE become) part of embedded OS
1. API fixation of embedded OS thus have to consider 'slimming down' as
priority
2. RT API will be just a special case of embedded API

In this light, may I now ask the question:
Which API standardization are we discussing in this group? Embedded or RT?

-Bhushit Joshipura