public inbox for elix@sourceware.org
* Cooperation between EL/IX and LSB
@ 2000-01-27 10:48 Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-01-27 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: elix; +Cc: lsb-spec

In the Linux Standard Base (LSB) we have often wished there were a bit
more coordination between EL/IX and the LSB
( http://www.linuxbase.org/ ) since after all the EL/IX level 4 API is
probably pretty much synonymous with the LSB API (the efforts are not
quite the same, for one thing the LSB also is working on an ABI,
anyway, the point is there is overlap not that we're identical).

Here's what I have done so far:

* Added link from http://www.linuxbase.org/links.html to EL/IX.

Here's what we can do:

* If EL/IX would be interested in adding a link from the EL/IX web
  site to linuxbase.org, that would be great.

* Linuxbase.org is currently a distributed (that is, support from many
  vendors) effort that maintains our specification via CVS - see
  http://www.linuxbase.org/devel.html

  We would like to ask whether EL/IX would be interested in
  maintaining the EL/IX specification in the same way.  In particular,
  the LSB spec is maintained in a combination of
  MySQL/DocBook/makefiles which, although somewhat complicated, makes
  it easy to add additional columns for "included in EL/IX level 1"?
  "included in EL/IX level 2"?  And so on.  It already has columns for
  Single Unix Spec, POSIX, &c.

  You should be able to check out the files read-only from CVS if you
  want to play with this - if maintaining the specs together seems
  like a good plan we should be able to arrange for EL/IX people to
  have write access as well.

* Any other ideas?  Let us know.  I've CC'd this message between the
  mailing lists of the two projects.

* Re: Cooperation between EL/IX and LSB
@ 2000-01-29 13:07 ` Paul Beskeen
From: Paul Beskeen @ 2000-01-29 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Kingdon, elix; +Cc: lsb-spec

> In the Linux Standard Base (LSB) we have often wished there were a bit
> more coordination between EL/IX and the LSB
> ( http://www.linuxbase.org/ ) since after all the EL/IX level 4 API is
> probably pretty much synonymous with the LSB API (the efforts are not
> quite the same, for one thing the LSB also is working on an ABI,
> anyway, the point is there is overlap not that we're identical).

Seems like a good idea. We would be happy to work with the LSB to ensure
compatibility between EL/IX and the LSB spec. As an initial step we will
examine the possibility of formalizing the LSB as the definition of EL/IX
level 4.

> * If EL/IX would be interested in adding a link from the EL/IX web
>   site to linuxbase.org, that would be great.

No problem.

> * Linuxbase.org is currently a distributed (that is, support from many
>   vendors) effort that maintains our specification via CVS - see
>   http://www.linuxbase.org/devel.html
>
>   We would like to ask whether EL/IX would be interested in
>   maintaining the EL/IX specification in the same way.  In particular,
>   the LSB spec is maintained in a combination of
>   MySQL/DocBook/makefiles which, although somewhat complicated, makes
>   it easy to add additional columns for "included in EL/IX level 1"?
>   "included in EL/IX level 2"?  And so on.  It already has columns for
>   Single Unix Spec, POSIX, &c.

Ok, we will take a look and see how this might work. The EL/IX std has more
complexity with regard to options, but should be able to find ways of
handling this.

Cheers, Paul.

* Re: Cooperation between EL/IX and LSB
@ 2000-01-29 20:36   ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2000-01-29 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paulb; +Cc: elix, lsb-spec

> Ok, we will take a look and see how this might work. The EL/IX std
> has more complexity with regard to options, but should be able to
> find ways of handling this.

OK, the README.SQL file which is in CVS (see
http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/sourceforge.html ) should help explain
what is going on.

Furthermore, I now have built the spec and pretty much understand how
the build process works (which is more than I could have said a day
ago :-)).  Stuart had been doing it and it just recently got into CVS,
and it took me a while to get around to getting going with it.

So, yes, ask if you have questions.

* Re: Cooperation between EL/IX and LSB
@ 2000-01-30  8:20     ` Stuart Anderson
From: Stuart Anderson @ 2000-01-30  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Kingdon; +Cc: paulb, elix, lsb-spec

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Jim Kingdon wrote:

> Furthermore, I now have built the spec and pretty much understand how
> the build process works (which is more than I could have said a day
> ago :-)).  Stuart had been doing it and it just recently got into CVS,

Just to clarify:
It has always been in CVS, but we had a repository on another machine on which
we were not at libery to create many accounts. The move to the sourceforge
repository was recent and done for the purpose of expanding access to others.

                                Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               anderson@metrolink.com

Metro Link Incorporated                          South Carolina Office
4711 North Powerline Road                        129 Secret Cove Drive
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309                   Lexington, SC 29072
voice: 954.938.0283                              voice: 803.951.3630
fax:   954.938.1982                              SkyTel: 800.405.3401
http://www.metrolink.com/