public inbox for elix@sourceware.org
* EL/IX Stands for?
@ 1999-09-28  0:10 Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 1999-09-28  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: elix

O.K. Lets kick the mailing list off with a questions that should be on
the FAQ.

What does the acronym EL/IX stand for?

        Thanks
                Andrew

____________________________

Andrew Lunn
Research Engineer
Phone +41 62 889 52 97
Fax +41 62 889 52 90
Andrew.Lunn@ascom.ch

Ascom Systec Ltd.
Applicable Research & Technology
Gewerbepark
CH-5506 Maegenwil
Switzerland

www.ascom.com/art

* Re: EL/IX Stands for?
@ 1999-09-28  5:14 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 1999-09-28  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: elix, louisc, jsm

Andrew Lunn wrote:

> O.K. Lets kick the mailing list off with a questions that should be on
> the FAQ.
>
> What does the acronym EL/IX stand for?

Embedded Linux/POSIX. (But how can it be a frequently asked question if
no-one asked it yet ;-)). Louis/Crash - can you do the honours and put this
somewhere?

Jifl
--
Cygnus Solutions, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK.  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
"I used to have an open mind but || Get yer free open source RTOS's here...

* Re: EL/IX Stands for?
@ 1999-09-28  5:22   ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 1999-09-28  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: lunn, elix, louisc, jsm

> Embedded Linux/POSIX.

This suggests its going to be tied to Linux when in fact the API could
and will be implemented on other OSs such as eCos. I can see from a
marketing and opensource viewpoint its good to have Linux in there but
you don't want to make people think its limit to just Linux.

        Andrew

* Re: EL/IX Stands for?
@ 1999-09-28  5:40     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 1999-09-28  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: elix

Andrew Lunn wrote:

> > Embedded Linux/POSIX.
>
> This suggests its going to be tied to Linux when in fact the API could
> and will be implemented on other OSs such as eCos. I can see from a
> marketing and opensource viewpoint its good to have Linux in there but
> you don't want to make people think its limit to just Linux.

I'm sure there's an element of that :-). But there is a technical rationale
- there are areas of useful functionality in Linux that aren't in POSIX. Or
there are certain things where the implementation can behave in different,
but equally standards-compliant ways.

When that happens, the general principle would be to follow the behaviour of
Linux. Not Solaris, or SCO, or anything else. Linux.

Of course there would be times when maintaining 100% semantic compatibility
with Linux would be silly for an embedded system. That's one of the reasons
this list exists - to define and refine the API so we get a consensus on
what these types of things would be.

Jifl