public inbox for elix@sourceware.org
From: Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill@OARcorp.com>
To: Paul Beskeen <paulb@cygnus.co.uk>
Cc: elix@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: First Comments on the EL/IX API Draft Specification
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 10:55:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Paul Beskeen wrote:

> Once digested, please feel free to send in your comments on the draft and
> engage in discussions on the general EL/IX mailing list
> elix@sourceware.cygnus.com You can add yourself to this mailing list from the
> main EL/IX web pages.

Let me start by saying that a useful and reasonable subset of POSIX for
embedded systems is very important.  The RTEMS Project has long believed
this type of effort was critical to the success of providing
compatability
across a wide range of systems. :)

I have not disgested the entire thing yet but had a handful of questions
and comments to kick things off.

+ Has any analysis been done on how newlib stacks up?  The focus seems
to be
  on glibc.

+ Where are the *64() functions from?  (open64(), read64(), etc.)

+ How does the networking functionality included related to the POSIX
Networking
  standard?

+ My gut feeling is that there is something meaningful between levels
  1 and 2.  Level 2 appears to include glibc specific functions.  I
think
  there should be a real standard POSIX subset above level one which
does
  not include "vendor specific" routines.

   Support Available             (256) 722-9985