public inbox for elix@sourceware.org
* another SAQ -- which license?
@ 1999-09-28 10:57 Mark Galassi
From: Mark Galassi @ 1999-09-28 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: Andrew Lunn, elix

Cygnus dudes, which license will you use?  I understand it will be
CEPL for the eCos layer, but what for the Linux layer?  LGPL?

And OK, I have another question: how far is the implementation?  If
you will be supporting a pthreads interface, does that mean that the
pthreads layer for eCos has finally been written?

* Re: another SAQ -- which license?
@ 1999-09-30  6:46 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 1999-09-30  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Galassi; +Cc: elix

Mark Galassi wrote:

> Cygnus dudes, which license will you use?  I understand it will be
> CEPL for the eCos layer, but what for the Linux layer?  LGPL?

Whichever is appropriate for the linux software in question - GPL for the
kernel, and LGPL for glibc. But note there is no linux layer involved - the
APIs are already there. The main effort is to define a sensible subset that
is useful for embedded systems, without overly compromising size, efficiency
and scalability.

> And OK, I have another question: how far is the implementation?  If
> you will be supporting a pthreads interface, does that mean that the
> pthreads layer for eCos has finally been written?

Not yet.

Jifl
--
Cygnus Solutions, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK.  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
"I used to have an open mind but || Get yer free open source RTOS's here...