public inbox for fortran@gcc.gnu.org
* Inheritance across modules
@ 2016-07-12 17:49 Bryan C. Everly
From: Bryan C. Everly @ 2016-07-12 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fortran

Hi,

I'm trying to build some code where I have a custom type defined in a
module (file1) and I'm trying to subclass that so I can override one
of the procedures in it in a second file (file2).  If someone could
provide me with an example of this, I'd really appreciate it.  I'm a
C++ guy who is moving over to Fortran and I'm really digging it so
far.  I just have failed my Google-Fu test on this particular aspect.

Much appreciate from the n00b!

Thanks,
Bryan

* Re: Inheritance across modules
@ 2016-07-12 18:25 ` Holcomb, Katherine A. (kah3f)
From: Holcomb, Katherine A. (kah3f) @ 2016-07-12 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan C. Everly, fortran

Hi Bryan,

Welcome to Fortran.  The fortran@gcc.gnu.org mailing list is for technical discussions by the compiler developers and not for general questions.  I’d suggest you post your question to the Google group comp.lang.fortran and you should get plenty of examples.  I may have one I could find and send you separately.  Is the type a class (i.e. are the procedures type bound, as we say in Fortranese)?

--
Katherine Holcomb        kholcomb@virginia.edu
Advanced Research Computing Services

@ 2016-07-12 18:33   ` Anton Shterenlikht