public inbox for fortran@gcc.gnu.org
* Backslash character at the end of a comment
@ 2017-09-25 15:41 Vladimír Fuka
From: Vladimír Fuka @ 2017-09-25 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fortran

Hello,

I noticed strange error after adding a comment. Unexpected elses and end if.

I realized the comment had \ at the end. I added a space after it and I got

strings.f90:102:76: warning: backslash and newline separated by space
[enabled by default]
         ! " finishes the string and is not counted to it if not escaped by \
 ^
strings.f90:119.10:

and again the same error, unexpected elses and end if.

Does this reject valid source files or not? What purpose does it
serve? Does it mean a comment is continued on the next line by using a
backslash?

Regards,

  Vladimir

* RE: Backslash character at the end of a comment
@ 2017-09-27  0:24 ` Klint Gore
From: Klint Gore @ 2017-09-27  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
>Does this reject valid source files or not? What purpose does it serve? Does it mean a comment is continued on the next line by using a backslash?

The comment is continued to the next line.  I posted back in March about it https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/fortran/2017-03/msg00020.html .  There were no replies as to what the expected behaviour should be.  In my case, the backslash was meaningless so I could just get rid of them.

Klint.

* Re: Backslash character at the end of a comment
@ 2017-09-26  9:20     ` Vladimír Fuka
From: Vladimír Fuka @ 2017-09-26  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dominique d'Humières; +Cc: gfortran

So it was the -cpp which was in effect, although there were no macros
in the source files. The code is

  !\
  if (i>1) then
  end if
end

The error

> gfortran -cpp   backslash.f90
backslash.f90:3.3:

end if
   1
Error: Expecting END PROGRAM statement at (1)

I knew the backslash is  used to continue a macro on the next line,
but I didn't know it has en effect also outside of macros.

Regards,

  Vlad

@ 2017-09-25 16:49   ` Dominique d'Humières
From: Dominique d'Humières @ 2017-09-25 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)