And here is a more light-wight variant, suggested by Nightstrike: Using '.' instead of creating a new directory - and checking for __WIN32__ instead for __MINGW32__. The only downside of this variant is that it does not check whether "close(10,status='delete')" will delete a directory without failing with an error. – If the latter makes sense, I think a follow-up check should be added to ensure the directory has indeed been removed by 'close'. Thoughts about which variant is better? Other suggestions or comments? Tobias PS: On my x86-64 Linux, OPEN works but READ fails with EISDIR/errno == 21. On 19.12.22 10:09, Tobias Burnus wrote: > As discussed in #gfortran IRC, on Windows opening a directory fails > with EACCESS. > (It works under Cygwin - nightstrike was so kind to test this.) > > Additionally, '[ -d dir ] || mkdir dir' is also not very portable. > > Hence, I use an auxiliary C file calling the POSIX functions and > expect a fail for non-Cygwin windows. > > Comments? Suggestions? - If there aren't any, I plan to commit it > as obvious tomorrow. ----------------- Siemens Electronic Design Automation GmbH; Anschrift: Arnulfstraße 201, 80634 München; Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung; Geschäftsführer: Thomas Heurung, Frank Thürauf; Sitz der Gesellschaft: München; Registergericht München, HRB 106955