public inbox for fortran@gcc.gnu.org
* GCC 6.1 release document sparse on Fortran details
@ 2016-04-25 16:23 Damian Rouson
From: Damian Rouson @ 2016-04-25 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC-Fortran-ML

All,

Did GCC 6.1 release on 2016-04-15?  I somehow missed the announcement.

The description of the changes in the Fortran front end in 6.1 are very limited.  See https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-6/changes.html.

Could someone please update the information there to include, for example, support for submodules and events and improved support for deferred-length character variables?

Damian

* Re: GCC 6.1 release document sparse on Fortran details
@ 2016-04-25 18:24 ` Paul Richard Thomas
From: Paul Richard Thomas @ 2016-04-25 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damian Rouson; +Cc: GCC-Fortran-ML

I see what you mean!

We were never consulted.

Paul

--
The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.

Albert Einstein

* Re: GCC 6.1 release document sparse on Fortran details
@ 2016-04-25 18:41   ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2016-04-25 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gfortran

Hi all,

no, GCC 6.1 was not released. It was branched on April 15 (and RC 1 was
released back then), cf. GCC 6.1 RC 1 (alias 6.0.1)
https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2016-04/msg00103.html and the status report
for GCC 7 at https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2016-04/msg00106.html

And a GCC 6.1 RC2 has been released, too (on Saturday, 23 April); cf.
https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2016-04/msg00218.html – However, GCC 6
(6.1.0) has not been released yet.

I think the AIX issue mentioned in the RC2 announement turned out to be
a false alarm, thus, I wouldn't be surprised if GCC 6.1 will be released
tomorrow.

In any case, I wouldn't harm if someone could update the release notes,
https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-6/changes.html and bring it in sync with
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortran/News – it seems as if issues

I think I am too much out of sync to be able to manage to do this today
– and I probably would miss all the changes which are documented at
neither location.

Cheers,

Tobias,
who might/should find some time to contribute again

@ 2016-04-25 18:43     ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2016-04-25 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gfortran

Tobias Burnus wrote:
> In any case, I wouldn't harm if someone could update the release
> notes, https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-6/changes.html and bring it in sync
> with https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortran/News – it seems as if issues
(to finish my sentence:) it seems as if some changes are documented in
the releases notes, others in the Wiki, some at both and some at neither
location.

All the best,

Tobias