See PR for some analysis. The problem is that during gfc_intrinsic_func_interface, sym->attr.flavor == FL_PROCEDURE, hence, attr.intrinsic is not set – but later when parsing 'null()', gfortran calls: if (sym->attr.proc != PROC_INTRINSIC && !(sym->attr.use_assoc && sym->attr.intrinsic) && (!gfc_add_procedure(&sym->attr, PROC_INTRINSIC, sym->name, NULL) || !gfc_add_function (&sym->attr, sym->name, NULL))) return MATCH_ERROR; The gfc_add_procedure call fails as 'sym' is use-associated and may not be modified. The obvious solution to also set attr.intrinsic for FL_PROCEDURE fails in multiple ways, e.g. for gfortran.dg/char_length_16.f90 which has: CHARACTER (LEN(ITEMVAL)) :: ITEM INTRINSIC LEN the error is that INTRINSIC has been speicified twice. It also affects the error diagnostic in for generic resolution due to (I think): if (sym->attr.intrinsic) return gfc_intrinsic_func_interface (expr, 0); For gfortran.dg/allocatable_scalar_11.f90 the specific ‘array’ argument of ‘allocated’ intrinsic at (1) must be a variable gets replaced by the generic Generic function 'allocated' at (1) is not consistent with a specific intrinsic interface I have now tried it as shown. I think attr.function was not set, but am not sure. But setting it again for FL_PROCEDURE looks sensible. I am far from certain that now everything fits together, but I do hope that nothing fails which did work before ... OK for mainline? And after waiting a while for GCC 10? Tobias PS: I did see once a fail for pr93792.f90 (additional error as 't' in type(t) is not known) – but I could not reproduce it; the error is valid but later runs stopped with 'cannot open module file' and did not reach that follow-up error. ----------------- Mentor Graphics (Deutschland) GmbH, Arnulfstrasse 201, 80634 München Registergericht München HRB 106955, Geschäftsführer: Thomas Heurung, Frank Thürauf