public inbox for fortran@gcc.gnu.org
From: "Thomas König" <tk@tkoenig.net>
To: Tobias Burnus <Tobias_Burnus@mentor.com>
Cc: Toon Moene <toon@moene.org>, cglwdm@scu.edu.cn, fortran@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: gfortran fp16
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 12:09:04 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

be might complement to the QP support for POWER in gcc 12, and I have actually thought about doing. The library has its gotchas, though - I do not suppose we can count on fp16 support for trigonometrics and similar, for example, so we would probably have to use fp32 and convert (or imlement a lookup table, which would be cache-unfriendly) Plus, there appears to be more than one format on ARM, but we should probably restrict ourselves to IEEE.

So, not a really small project, but an interesting one.

Best regards

Thomas