Hi all, The attached log entry and patch (git show) fixes this issue by adding logic to handle spaces in eat_separators. One or more spaces by themselves are a valid separator. So in this case we look at the character following the spaces to see if it is a comma or semicolon. If so, I change it to the valid separator for the given decimal mode, point or comma. This allows the comma or semicolon to be interpreted as a null read on the next effective item in the formatted read. I chose a permissive approach here that allows reads to proceed when the input line is mal-formed with an incorrect separator as long as there is at least one space in front of it. New test case included. Regression tested on X86-64. OK for trunk? Backport to 13 after some time. Regards, Jerry