On Thu, Jan 19, 2023, 13:33 Bernhard Reutner-Fischer wrote: > On 19 January 2023 13:52:55 CET, NightStrike via Fortran < > fortran@gcc.gnu.org> wrote: > > >You can, and people naturally do this, and I think it's great, but > >there's usually a response from someone saying "post that to the > >mailing list instead". > > The mailing list has a 20-30 year history with reasoning about what > currently is in the tree. I do think it is valuable to reason about patches > publically for others to see. And I'm aware that this might not be regarded > fancy nowadays by everyone. > > But that does not mean that using other means to collaborate should not be > used by some. Be it comp.lang.fortran, a webchat.oftc, or other means, > that's all fine of course. > > patches currently are handled differently, but I don't think that is a > problem isn't it. > Just post final patches to the list as long as that is regarded the way to > do final review and document approval. > > cheers, > The problem is that patch tracking is unsustainable. You could go the other way and have a patch tracker automatically echo messages to the mailing list. >