public inbox for fortran@gcc.gnu.org
From: Richard Biener <richard.guenther@gmail.com>
To: Thomas Schwinge <thomas@codesourcery.com>
Cc: fortran@gcc.gnu.org, gcc@gcc.gnu.org,
	Tom de Vries <tdevries@suse.de>,
	 Alexander Monakov <amonakov@ispras.ru>
Subject: Re: Handling of large stack objects in GPU code generation -- maybe transform into heap allocation?
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 15:35:44 +0100	[thread overview]

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 3:13 PM Thomas Schwinge <thomas@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> [...]
> At run time, via 'CU_JIT_INFO_LOG_BUFFER' you then get, for example:
>
>     warning : Stack size for entry function 'MAIN__$_omp_fn$0' cannot be statically determined
>
> That's still not an actual problem: if the GPU kernel's stack usage still
> fits into 1 KiB.  Very often it does, but if, as happens in libgfortran
> I/O handling, there is another such 'dt_parm' put onto the stack, the
> stack then overflows; device-side SIGSEGV.
>
> (There is, by the way, some similar analysis by Tom de Vries in
> <https://gcc.gnu.org/PR85519> "[nvptx, openacc, openmp, testsuite]
> Recursive tests may fail due to thread stack limit".)
>
> Of course, you shouldn't really be doing I/O in GPU kernels, but people
> do like their occasional "'printf' debugging", so we ought to make that
> work (... without pessimizing any "normal" code).
>
> I assume that generally reducing the size of 'dt_parm' etc. is out of
> scope.
>
> There is a way to manually set a per-thread stack size, but it's not
> obvious which size to set: that sizes needs to work for the whole GPU
> kernel, and should be as low as possible (to maximize parallelism).
> I assume that even if GCC did an accurate call graph analysis of the GPU
> kernel's maximum stack usage, that still wouldn't help: that's before the
> PTX JIT does its own code transformations, including stack spilling.
>
> There exists a 'CU_JIT_LTO' flag to "Enable link-time optimization
> (-dlto) for device code".  This might help, assuming that it manages to
> simplify the libgfortran I/O code such that the PTX JIT then understands
> the call graph.  But: that's available only starting with recent
> CUDA 11.4, so not a general solution -- if it works at all, which I've
> not tested.
>
> Similarly, we could enable GCC's LTO for device code generation -- but
> that's a big project, out of scope at this time.  And again, we don't
> know if that at all helps this case.
>
> I see a few options:
>
> (a) Figure out what it is in the libgfortran I/O implementation that
> causes "Stack size [...] cannot be statically determined", and re-work
> that code to avoid that, or even disable certain things for nvptx, if
> feasible.
>
> (b) Also for GCC/OpenACC/nvptx use the GCC/OpenMP/nvptx '-msoft-stack'.
> I don't really want to do that however: it does introduce a bit of
> complexity in all the generated device code and run-time overhead that we
> generally would like to avoid.
>
> (c) I'm contemplating a tweak/compiler pass for transforming such large
> stack objects into heap allocation (during nvptx offloading compilation).
> 'malloc'/'free' do exist; they're slow, but that's not a problem for the
> code paths this is to affect.  (Might also add some compile-time
> diagnostic, of course.)  Could maybe even limit this to only be used
> during libgfortran compilation?  This is then conceptually a bit similar
> to (b), but localized to relevant parts only.  Has such a thing been done

Shrink st_parameter_dt (it's part of the ABI though, kind of).  Lots of the
bloat is from things that are unused for simpler I/O cases (so some
"inheritance" could help), and lots of the bloat is from using
string/length pairs using char * + size_t for what looks like could be
encoded a lot more efficiently.

There's probably not much low-hanging fruit.

Converting to heap allocation is difficult outside of the frontend and you
have to be very careful with memleaks.  The library is written in C and
I see heap allocated temporaries there but in at least one
place a stack one is used:

void
st_endfile (st_parameter_filepos *fpp)
{
      if (u->current_record)
        {
          st_parameter_dt dtp;
          dtp.common = fpp->common;
          memset (&dtp.u.p, 0, sizeof (dtp.u.p));
          dtp.u.p.current_unit = u;
          next_record (&dtp, 1);

that might be a mistake though - maybe it's enough to change that
to a heap allocation?  It might be also totally superfluous since
only 'u' should matter here ... (not sure if the above is the case
you are running into).

Richard.