Hi Steve, Nagfor responds to the test case with "Error: pr97122.f90, line 14: Type T has final subroutines but is not defined in the specification part of a module" F2018: "C787(R753) A final-subroutine-name shall be the name of a module procedure with exactly one dummy argument." Since, of necessity, the argument is declared to be of the derived type with the final binding, the gfortran and nagfor errors are correct IMHO. ifort compiles it without complaint. I have marked this as "waiting" pending a contrary interpretation. Cheers Paul On Wed, 3 May 2023 at 23:59, Steve Kargl via Fortran wrote: > All, > > PR97122 shows an issue with finalization. > It seems I attached a diff to the PR in 2020, > which allows the code to compile. The diff > applied to today's trunk still allows the > code to compile but there is now at least > 1 regression with finalize_8.f03. > > Even with my patch, I'm uncertain as to > whether the finalizing subroutine is > correctly hooked to the right namespace. > > -- > steve > -- "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein