Hi Thomas and Steve, Last night, I scoped out the work required to get the patch ready to commit. Sorting out the testcases will be the main load since they have grown "organically". I propose to change over to one test for each paragraph of F2018 7.5.6.2/7.5.6.3 and to verify them against the other brands. I suspect that this will allow a weeding out of the existing tests. It will take me a couple of weeks. Could you please review the patch on that self same time scale? I would be happy to have feedback one file at a time. Salvatore alerted me to an ICE on valid, which occurs with -fcheck=all. Eliminating the assert at trans.cc:1101 fixes it. I am not convinced that the line does anything useful now and so consider it to be erased. I suspect that future bugs will result from components that are finalizable and allocatable and so I will be paying close attention to it. In the course of the last few months, I have found that the associate construct causes a lot of niggles. Looking at pr87477, I see that I fixed a number of the dependencies a while since, on a branch other than the development branch of the time. As a result, the fixes got lost. I will turn to pr87477 just as soon as pr37336 is done and dusted. Cheers Paul On Tue, 7 Mar 2023 at 14:58, Thomas Koenig wrote: > Paul, > > first of all, thank you very much indeed for the hard work you put into > this! This is a great step for gfortran. > > > I can hurry this along to get the patch > > into 13-branch or I can wait until 14-branch opens. > > Personally, I think that this fixes so many bugs, and makes > the compiler so much better, that I would prefer having it > in gcc-13. Finalization was only of very limited use before, > and the risk of meaningful regressions (short of a build > failure) is therefore very low. > > Again, thanks a lot! > > Best regards > > Thomas > > > > -- "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein