Hi Richard, Smart pointer applications really torture finalization. That's why Andrew and Salvatore's help has been so much appreciated. I haven't run the polyhedron suite for some little while and so I just downloaded it. I ran into a significant problem with the harness. The binary segfaulted before doing anything and the source appeared to be geared towards Intel but I couldn't get it to compile even with ifort. I replaced all the offending bits of code with standard calls and put the tests on to cook. The posted linux tests were done with gcc-7.4 so I will rerun the suite with that and compare the outcomes. So far I haven't seen any problems. On the contrary, some invalid code nasties were picked up: 3586 | DO ij = 1 , 3 | 2 3587 | QUGii(ij) = 0. 3588 | QCOni(ij) = 0. | 1 Warning: Array reference at (1) out of bounds (3 > 2) in loop beginning at (2) doduc.f90:3587:26: 3587 | QUGii(ij) = 0. | ^ Warning: iteration 2 invokes undefined behavior [-Waggressive-loop-optimizations] doduc.f90:3586:16: and gas_dyn2.f90:435:21: 59 | SUBROUTINE KEEL(NODES, DX, RADIUS, RBOUND, VEL, DENS, IENER, & | 2 ...... 435 | SUBROUTINE KEEL(NODES, DX, RADIUS, RBOUND, VEL, DENS, IENER, & | 1 Warning: Shape mismatch in dimension 1 of argument 'dx' between (1) and (2) The IEEE underflow and denormal errors are also flagged. As soon as the runs are finished, I will post the results. @Tobias Burnus Thanks for the pointer to Octopus. I'll give it a whirl tonight. Cheers Paul On Wed, 8 Mar 2023 at 09:10, Richard Biener wrote: > On Wed, 8 Mar 2023, Thomas Koenig wrote: > > > On 08.03.23 09:14, Richard Biener wrote: > > > While Fortran is not considered release critical it would be bad to > > > break say the build of SPEC CPU 2017 or Polyhedron very late in the > > > cycle. I'd lean towards postponing this to early stage1 and eventually > > > backport it for GCC 13.2 if you would like this feature to be > implemented > > > for GCC 13. > > > > And now comes the problem - no Fortran maintanier has access to SPEC > > 2017, as far as I know. The curse of closed-source benchmarks... > > :/ > > But at least you can watch https://lnt.opensuse.org after-the-fact > > > How extensive is SPEC using finalization? My personal guess would be > > that it is not used extensively, since gfortran's implementation is > > pretty broken at the moment. > > I'd say it probably doesn't use it. But I was more worrying about > unwanted side-effects on code _not_ using finalization. > > Do you know of any medium to large size Fortran code base that > uses finalization? > > Richard. > -- "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein