public inbox for fortran@gcc.gnu.org
* Failing tests after applying patches?
@ 2021-08-23 18:59 Arjen Markus
From: Arjen Markus @ 2021-08-23 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fortran List

Hello,

as promised, here is an overview of the unexpectedly failing tests. I got
these after applying the patches by Steve Kargl for bug ID 101951 and
101967. The platform I used to build it is Cygwin on WIndows 10.

FAIL: gfortran.dg/analyzer/pr96949.f90   -O  (internal compiler error)
FAIL: gfortran.dg/analyzer/pr96949.f90   -O  (test for excess errors)

I tried to reproduce this problem with version 10.2.0 but the program is
compiled and runs without problems. The analyzer options (in the dg
instructions) were not accepted, neither with the freshly built gfortran
executable. Probably too naïve to try itlike that ;).

Anyway, my question: is this a problem due to the patches or not?

FAIL: gfortran.dg/round_4.f90   -O0  execution test
and ditto with -O1, -O2, etc.

When built with version 10.2.0, the program fails with error code 2.I guess
this means this program is failing independently of these patches. Judging
from the comments, I conclude that it is a tough one, as it depends on the
implementation of strtod().

Regards,

Arjen

* Re: Failing tests after applying patches?
@ 2021-08-23 19:36 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2021-08-23 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arjen Markus, fortran

Hi Arjen,

On 23.08.21 20:59, Arjen Markus via Fortran wrote:
> as promised, here is an overview of the unexpectedly failing tests. I got
> these after applying the patches by Steve Kargl for bug ID 101951 and
> 101967. The platform I used to build it is Cygwin on WIndows 10.
>
> FAIL: gfortran.dg/analyzer/pr96949.f90   -O  (internal compiler error)
> FAIL: gfortran.dg/analyzer/pr96949.f90   -O  (test for excess errors)

I recommend: https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-testresults/current – it
shows what others are getting.

In particular, it helps: to ensure to look at the right branch (12.0
mainline), to look at  x86-64 Linux (as others tend to have some
additional issues) — and to make sure that that build actual does test
Fortran.

But the simplest test is to undo your patches - recompile GCC and then
run (in the build directory):

cd gcc; make check-fortran RUNTESTFLAGS="analyzer.exp=pr96949.f90"

If the error still occurs, it is probably unrelated to the patch; if it
is gone, the patch probably caused it.

I also do note that many analyzer commits have been committed today,
hence, it is a moving target. (It does work for me – with the current
checkout. But this does not tell anything about when you did your tests,
given that several commits were done this evening.)

Tobias

* Re: Failing tests after applying patches?
@ 2021-08-24  6:47   ` Arjen Markus
From: Arjen Markus @ 2021-08-24  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Burnus; +Cc: fortran

Hi Tobias,

thanks for these tips - this should come in handy indeed.

One thing though: when I tried to run my freshly built gfortran compiler on
one of the test programs, I got the message that it could not find the file
libgfortran.spec. Is there some environment variable that muist be set?

Regards,

Arjen

@ 2021-08-24  8:07     ` Richard Biener
From: Richard Biener @ 2021-08-24  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arjen Markus; +Cc: Tobias Burnus, fortran

On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 8:47 AM Arjen Markus via Fortran
<fortran@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi Tobias,
>
> thanks for these tips - this should come in handy indeed.
>
> One thing though: when I tried to run my freshly built gfortran compiler on
> one of the test programs, I got the message that it could not find the file
> libgfortran.spec. Is there some environment variable that muist be set?

If you are running gfortran from inside the build directory you'll need quite
some -B arguments, like

 objdir/gcc> ./gfortran -B ../<targetdir>/libgfortran -B
../<targetdir>/libgfortran/.libs -B ../<targetdir>/libquadmath/.libs

where the latter two are when you are also doing linking.  <targetdir> is
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu for me but likely sth with cygwin for you.

Richard.