I have never worked much with VAXes, but I do remember that VAX used a file system where you made a new version of a file and the older versions were automatically kept. I guess that is the purpose of the INDEXED organisation. It is not so much a limitation of gfortran that it does not support this, but a consequence of the operating system's completely different view on files and file management. Regards, Arjen Op di 7 mrt 2023 om 23:58 schreef Thomas Koenig via Fortran < fortran@gcc.gnu.org>: > Hi Roland, > > > 210 OPEN (UNIT=K_DRAW_CHAN, > > 1 FILE=DRAWING_DATA, > > 2 STATUS='OLD', > > 3 ORGANIZATION='INDEXED', > > I'd never heard of that one up to now. > > > 4 ACCESS='KEYED', > > 5 RECORDTYPE='FIXED', > > 6 FORM='UNFORMATTED', > > 7 RECL=K_DRAWING_RECORD_SIZE/4, > > 8 CARRIAGECONTROL='FORTRAN', > > 9 KEY=(1:8:CHARACTER), > > 1 DISP='KEEP', > > 2 IOSTAT=L_DRAW_ERR, > > 3 ERR=999) > > > > The ORGANIZATION='INDEXED' is key. > > > > GnuCOBOL > > > > https://gnucobol.sourceforge.io/ > > > > uses the BerkleyDB (sp?) library so the standard COBOL indexed file > > support from the big computers can at least be mimicked. > > > > I'm searching everywhere and I cannot find Gnu Fortran (any flavor) > > having an ORGANIZATION clause in the OPEN(). > > ORGANIZATION is not an extension that gfortran supports. > ifort, which traces its lineage back to VMS Fortran, supports > ORGANIZATION, but not 'INDEXED', according to > > > https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/fortran-compiler-oneapi-dev-guide-and-reference/top/language-reference/file-operation-i-o-statements/open-statement-specifiers/open-organization-specifier.html > > This is likely a Fortran interface to a VMS speciality; the older > operating systems had stuff like that. UNIX did away with all > the record-orientation (I also remember VSAM and ISAM data sets > on old IBM mainframes) and UNIX and derivatives, and Windows, now > just offers the "stream of bytes" model. > > So, if you need the functionality, you will have to implement it > yourself, possibly via a database. > > Best regards > > Thomas >