public inbox for fortran@gcc.gnu.org
From: Larry Lemons <llemons@us.ibm.com>
To: "fortran@gcc.gnu.org" <fortran@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Building Legacy Code and Intel Libraries
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 20:15:28 +0000	[thread overview]

Hello,

I inherited a project where the customer wants us to re-build this ForTran application with a more modern compiler.  I did some research and found that the GCC compiler probably has the most up to date compiler available, so we decided to us 13.1.0 version of GCC.  It has been about 40 years since I last used Fortran, and very little at that time, and I didn't realize that there were different libraries available based upon which compiler that was used at the time.  Apparently, from what I can tell from the research that I've done, is it was last built using a MicroSoft compiler because of two of the libraries that are used.  From what I've read, Compaq had the compiler for a time and now Intel has it.

Anyway, since I was not the person who originally worked on this code, I am not sure what functionality from the two libraries are being used, so I would like to find the one or more libraries that are equivalent to the libraries that are being used from the Intel libraries.  From what I understand, the libraries have been split up into more than one library since Intel took it over, but all that I know is that the two libraries in question are DFPORT and DFLIB.

Can someone help me find the equivalent libraries in GCC that replace all of the functionality in DFPORT and DFLIB or point me in a direction where I can find this information?  I've been trying to find it for the last 3 weeks and have found a lot of things, but nothing I can use or that works.  I've tried, unsuccessfully, to use the Intel libraries, as well as trying to rebuild them.  If there aren't any equivalent libraries then I may need to work on getting the Intel compiler added to the software list, which will take another month or more.

So any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Larry M. Lemons
Sr. Software Developer