public inbox for fortran@gcc.gnu.org
* Fortran issue
@ 2022-08-27 13:19 Lars G Golmen
From: Lars G Golmen @ 2022-08-27 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fortran

Hello
I have an old, small Fortran 4 program doing some statistics on time series: Aandstat.
The .EXE file ran on 32 bits PC with like XP-OS, but not anymore on 64 bits.

A colleague on mine tried compile the attached code in gfortran.
The gfortran compilation gave a couple of error messages, gfortran does not seem to accept the “\” sign.
Is there a valid replacement for that sign (command) we can use, to get quickly forward?

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Best regards
Lars Golmen
Lars G. Golmen, oceanographer, senior research scientist, Adj. professor
NIVA, Norwegian Institute for Water Research - Bergen and Runde branch,
Tel: (47) 4789 0957, Address: c/o Runde miljøsenter, N-6096 Runde, Norway
Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology, 4-5-7 Konan, Minato, Tokyo.
http://www.niva.no<http://www.niva.no/>
http://www.rundecentre.no<http://www.rundecentre.no/>
https://www.kaiyodai.ac.jp/english/
 << Fil: AANDSTAT.FOR >>
Frå: Shamil Iakubov <shamil.iakubov@niva.no>
Send: torsdag 25. august 2022 20:35
Til: Lars G Golmen <lars.golmen@niva.no>
Emne: RE: Fortran

Hi Lars!

Fortran is exciting, in fact it has evolved significantly during the last few years and it fits modern standards nowadays, except for the building system probably. Also, some of the most in demand machine learning libraries still use Fortran code.

Regarding your problem. I have tried to compile it with gfortran, it is a free open source compiler. It throws some errors:

```
(base) lmsh@l5:~/src/lars_fortran$ gfortran AANDSTAT.FOR -std=legacy -o program
AANDSTAT.FOR:27:22:

   27 |  10      WRITE(*,'(//,A\)')' OPPGI FILNAMN FOR INPUT DATA-->'
      |                      1
Error: Unexpected element ‘\’ in format string at (1)
AANDSTAT.FOR:30:17:

   30 |        WRITE(*,'(A\)')' OPPGI FILNAMN FOR RESULTAT (NY FIL)-->'
      |                 1
Error: Unexpected element ‘\’ in format string at (1)
(base) lmsh@l5:~/src/lars_fortran$

Some googling proved that the code is compiler specific. It can be compiled with the Intel compiler (ifort). Sadly it is not free now. I believe NIVA has VisualStudio license with ifort so your files can be compiled with visual studio solutions building system, but currently I don’t have access to these facilities.

Cheers,
Shamil