Dear all, after playing for some time with NAG and Intel, and an off-list discussion with Jerry, I am getting more and more convinced that simpler runtime error messages (also simpler to parse by a human) are superior to awkward solutions. This is also what Intel does: use only the name of the array (component) in the message whose indices are out of bounds. (NAG's solution appears also inconsistent for nested derived types.) So no x%z, or x%_data, etc. in runtime error messages any more. Please give it a spin... Regtested on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu. OK for mainline? Thanks, Harald On 1/30/24 11:46, Mikael Morin wrote: > Le 30/01/2024 à 11:38, Mikael Morin a écrit : >> >> Another (easier) way to clarify the data reference would be rephrasing >> the message so that the array part is separate from the scalar part, >> like so (there are too many 'of', but I lack inspiration): >> Index '0' of dimension 1 of component 'zz' of element from 'x1%vv' >> below lower bound of 1 >> > This has the same number of 'of' but sounds better maybe: > Out of bounds accessing component 'zz' of element from 'x1%yy': index > '0' of dimension 1 below lower bound of 1 >