As discussed in #gfortran IRC, on Windows opening a directory fails with EACCESS. (It works under Cygwin - nightstrike was so kind to test this.) Additionally, '[ -d dir ] || mkdir dir' is also not very portable. Hence, I use an auxiliary C file calling the POSIX functions and expect a fail for non-Cygwin windows. Comments? Suggestions? - If there aren't any, I plan to commit it as obvious tomorrow. Tobias ----------------- Siemens Electronic Design Automation GmbH; Anschrift: Arnulfstraße 201, 80634 München; Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung; Geschäftsführer: Thomas Heurung, Frank Thürauf; Sitz der Gesellschaft: München; Registergericht München, HRB 106955