Hi Mikael, Am 29.07.22 um 22:36 schrieb Mikael Morin: > Indeed, I overlooked that, but my opinion remains that we shouldn’t play > with fixed vs free form considerations here. > So the options I can see are: >  - handle the locus in get_kind; we do it a lot already in matching > functions, so it wouldn’t be different here. >  - implement a variant of gfc_match_char without space gobbling. >  - use gfc_match(...), which is a bit heavy weight to match a single > char string, but otherwise would keep things concise. > > My preference goes to the third option, but I’m fine with either of them > if you have a different one. > how about the attached? This introduces the helper function gfc_match_next_char, which is your second option. Thanks, Harald