Dear all, the following patch was submitted by Jose but never reviewed: https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/fortran/2021-April/055946.html Before, we didn't set function attributes properly when passing polymorphic pointers, which could lead to mis-optimization. The patch is technically fine and regtests ok, although it can be shortened slightly, which makes it more readable, see attached. When testing the suggested testcase I found that it was accepted (and working fine) with NAG, but it was rejected by both Intel and Cray. This troubled me, but I think it is standard conforming (F2018:15.5.2.7), while the error messages issued by Intel PR100132.f90(61): error #8300: If a dummy argument is allocatable or a pointer, and the dummy or its associated actual argument is polymorphic, both dummy and actual must be polymorphic with the same declared type or both must be unlimited polymorphic. [S] call set(s) -------------^ and a similar one by Cray, suggest that they refer to F2018:15.5.2.5, which IMHO does not apply here. (The text in the error message seems very related to the reasoning in Note 1 of that subsection). I'd like to hear (read: read) a second opinion on that. Thanks, Harald