Dear all, frontend-optimization of MINLOC/MAXLOC tries to generate code for rank-1 arrays that may be expanded inline later and optimzed. Except when the argument is a character array... As there is even a comment in trans-intrinsic.cc that we will call a library function for character arguments anyway, we better punt here. The attached obvious patch does this and was pre-approved by Thomas in the PR. Regtested on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu and pushed to mainline as https://gcc.gnu.org/g:e3e369dad6cbecb1b490b3f3b154c600fba5a6f3 As this is a wrong-code issue, I'd like to backport this to 11-branch. Thanks, Harald