Dear all, gfortran's ABI specifies that actual arguments to CHARACTER(LEN=1),VALUE dummy arguments are passed by value in the scalar case. That did work for constant strings being passed, but not in several other cases, where pointers were passed, resulting in subsequent random junk... The attached patch fixes this for the case of a non-constant string argument. It does not touch the character,value bind(c) case - this is a different thing and may need separate work, as Mikael pointed out - and there is a missed optimization for the case of actual constant string arguments of length larger than 1: it appears that the full string is pushed to the stack. I did not address that, as the primary aim here is to get correctly working code. (I added a TODO in a comment.) Regtested on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu. OK for mainline? Thanks, Harald