public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
* Re: frysk-core/frysk gui/srcwin/SourceWindow.java  ...
       [not found] <20061212143305.11268.qmail@sourceware.org>
@ 2006-12-13 13:58 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2006-12-13 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: frysk

Mike,

is this null stack frames, or null source and line?  The source window
should be able to assume  that there is at least one stack frame.

Andrew

@ 2006-12-14 14:13   ` Mike Cvet
From: Mike Cvet @ 2006-12-14 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: frysk

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 08:58 -0500, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> Mike,
>
> is this null stack frames, or null source and line?  The source window
> should be able to assume  that there is at least one stack frame.
>
> Andrew

Both, actually - its possible for the call to
StackFactory.createStackFrame to break completely and leave the stack
trace null. This commit also covers the situation where the StackFrame
seems to have been initialized properly, but for some reason a function
name can't be pulled out of it. I believe both of these cases have been
witnessed when testing on johntheripper with varying amounts of
optimization and debuginfo/unwindinfo

- Mike

@ 2006-12-14 15:18     ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2006-12-14 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Cvet; +Cc: frysk

Mike Cvet wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 08:58 -0500, Andrew Cagney wrote:
>
>> Mike,
>>
>> is this null stack frames, or null source and line?  The source window
>> should be able to assume  that there is at least one stack frame.
>>
>> Andrew
>>

> Both, actually - its possible for the call to
> StackFactory.createStackFrame to break completely and leave the stack
> trace null. This commit also covers the situation where the StackFrame
> seems to have been initialized properly, but for some reason a function
> name can't be pulled out of it. I believe both of these cases have been
> witnessed when testing on johntheripper with varying amounts of
> optimization and debuginfo/unwindinfo

The source window code doesn't need to handle this - instead it should
rely on there being a frame.

The place to fix this is in .createStackFrame setting things up so that
it always guarentees some sort of stack frame.

Andrew

* Re: frysk-core/frysk gui/srcwin/SourceWindow.java  ...
@ 2006-12-14 16:13       ` Mike Cvet
From: Mike Cvet @ 2006-12-14 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: frysk

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 10:18 -0500, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> Mike Cvet wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 08:58 -0500, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> >
> >> Mike,
> >>
> >> is this null stack frames, or null source and line?  The source window
> >> should be able to assume  that there is at least one stack frame.
> >>
> >> Andrew

That makes a lot of sense - I'll make the change.

- Mike