public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
* 2.6.24.3-12.fc8 kernel on x86 breaks frysk test suite
@ 2008-03-10 10:55 Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2008-03-10 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: frysk

Hi,

Be careful upgrading your fedora kernel, at least on x86.
The way the frysk test suite does a teardown seems to play havoc with
the new kernel leading to strange kill messages and TestRunner just
completely stopping.

With 2.6.24.3-12.fc8 on x86 a make check almost always fails (x86_64
seems fine though). Downgrading to 2.6.23.15-137.fc8 makes make check
(at least in frysk-core) completely clean again. With the newer kernel
tests fail (and the TestRunner gets killed!) somewhat randomly. It is
easily reproducible through something like:
./TestRunner -r 100 frysk.proc.TestTaskTerminateObserver
Which makes things a little worse by throwing in some kills of its own.
And it always fails within a couple of rounds with as output:
  frysk.sys.Errno$Einval: tkill: Invalid argument (task 0)

I filed it as bug #5902. It is somewhat nasty in that it isn't very
predictable where/when it breaks things. And I spend some time trying to
bisect patches till it occurred to me that it might have been the kernel
upgrade.

Cheers,

Mark

only message in thread, other threads:[~2008-03-10 10:55 UTC | newest]