public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
* Frysk Wiki
@ 2008-03-05  9:27 Phil Muldoon
From: Phil Muldoon @ 2008-03-05  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frysk Hackers; +Cc: Frank Ch. Eigler

The Systemtap project, also hosted at sourceware.org:

http://sourceware.org/systemtap/

Uses a wiki to store and distill a lot of the information about Systemtap:

http://sourceware.org/systemtap/wiki

Is there value in Frysk website moving to a similar mode, instead of
static htdocs?

Though I am not a particular fan of wiki's, I think they do a better job
at allowing information to be stored, history kept, and data changed to
reflect the current state of affairs. I tried to convert Sami's
excellent Fedora rpm email to htdoc and it soon evolved into a nightmare
on painful, dated and pedantic set of problems. I gave up. I'm not a
html/web programmer, and I don't care to be.

I know wiki's can be a controversial, so lets discuss it. Frank (cc'd)
mentioned he would help set-it up if that's they way the website goes.

Regards

Phil

* Re: Frysk Wiki
@ 2008-03-05 10:38 ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2008-03-05 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Muldoon; +Cc: Frysk Hackers, Frank Ch. Eigler

On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 09:27 +0000, Phil Muldoon wrote:
> The Systemtap project, also hosted at sourceware.org:
>
> http://sourceware.org/systemtap/
>
> Uses a wiki to store and distill a lot of the information about Systemtap:
>
> http://sourceware.org/systemtap/wiki
>
> Is there value in Frysk website moving to a similar mode, instead of
> static htdocs?

Yes, I think that would be very valuable.

> Though I am not a particular fan of wiki's, I think they do a better job
> at allowing information to be stored, history kept, and data changed to
> reflect the current state of affairs. I tried to convert Sami's
> excellent Fedora rpm email to htdoc and it soon evolved into a nightmare
> on painful, dated and pedantic set of problems. I gave up. I'm not a
> html/web programmer, and I don't care to be.
>
> I know wiki's can be a controversial, so lets discuss it. Frank (cc'd)
> mentioned he would help set-it up if that's they way the website goes.

If we can get Frank to help us setup then I am all for it.
I agree that editing the html files by hand is a bit of a pain.

The only concern I would have would be how to handle spam.
Unfortunately that is a real problem these days. For the wikis I setup I
either spend some time every day to delete/revert the spam or keep the
wiki closed to only registered users (which kind of defeats most of the
positives of having a wiki in the first place).

Cheers,

Mark

* Re: Frysk Wiki
@ 2008-03-05 17:30   ` Sami Wagiaalla
From: Sami Wagiaalla @ 2008-03-05 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard; +Cc: Phil Muldoon, Frysk Hackers, Frank Ch. Eigler

Mark Wielaard wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 09:27 +0000, Phil Muldoon wrote:
>> The Systemtap project, also hosted at sourceware.org:
>>
>> http://sourceware.org/systemtap/
>>
>> Uses a wiki to store and distill a lot of the information about Systemtap:
>>
>> http://sourceware.org/systemtap/wiki
>>
>> Is there value in Frysk website moving to a similar mode, instead of
>> static htdocs?
>
> Yes, I think that would be very valuable.

I have been looking into this a little bit. What we need is a content
management system with perhaps a wiki component. Asking around I was
given the following suggestions:

- Joomla
- Drupal
- MediaWiki
- whatever gnome and fedoraproject use cant remember

I personally think Joomla is our best option

* Re: Frysk Wiki
@ 2008-03-05 17:39     ` Phil Muldoon
From: Phil Muldoon @ 2008-03-05 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sami Wagiaalla; +Cc: Mark Wielaard, Frysk Hackers, Frank Ch. Eigler

Sami Wagiaalla wrote:

> I have been looking into this a little bit. What we need is a content
> management system with perhaps a wiki component. Asking around I was
> given the following suggestions:
>
> - Joomla
> - Drupal
> - MediaWiki
> - whatever gnome and fedoraproject use cant remember
>
> I personally think Joomla is our best option

Right, but as we as a project do not manage sourceware.org there is a
limiting factor there. Frank offered to get the moinmoin wiki going and
because there is an existing project using it (systemap), it might be
easier that way.

In any case, I don't want us to spend Frank's goodwill onto something
more "expensive" without asking him first ;) My hunch would be settling
on an installed system/wiki already there, so the overseers do not have
to play the security upgrade game.

However, from a pragmatic point of view: I'd like a wiki. How that is
parceled and delivered is of no interest to me. If it is part of a CMS,
so be it. Or just a dedicated wiki , so be it.

Regards

Phil

* Re: Frysk Wiki
@ 2008-03-06  9:05     ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2008-03-06  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sami Wagiaalla; +Cc: Phil Muldoon, Frysk Hackers, Frank Ch. Eigler

Hi,

On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 12:29 -0500, Sami Wagiaalla wrote:
> Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 09:27 +0000, Phil Muldoon wrote:
> >> Is there value in Frysk website moving to a similar mode, instead of
> >> static htdocs?
> >
> > Yes, I think that would be very valuable.
>
> I have been looking into this a little bit. What we need is a content
> management system with perhaps a wiki component. Asking around I was
> given the following suggestions:
>
> - Joomla
> - Drupal
> - MediaWiki
> - whatever gnome and fedoraproject use cant remember

fedora hosted uses Trac http://trac.edgewall.org/ it is very nice since
it is an everything in one solution for a project including bug tracker,
timelines, wiki, source browser, etc. I had it setup (but with most
things disabled) when we were experimenting with switching to mercurial:
http://gnu.wildebeest.org/trac/frysk

I don't have experience with Joomla or Drupal. Mediawiki is nice and
simple to setup and seems like something a lot of people can instantly
use.

But I would go with something that sourceware already offers. Especially
if we can trick Frank into setting it up for us. MoinMoin is pretty
decent. I just don't know a good solution for the spam issue, except
monitoring and cleaning it (or disabling new users).

Cheers,

Mark

* Re: Frysk Wiki
@ 2008-03-18 14:34       ` Phil Muldoon
From: Phil Muldoon @ 2008-03-18 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard; +Cc: Sami Wagiaalla, Frysk Hackers, Frank Ch. Eigler

This conversation has stalled. Any last opinions?

Regards

Phil
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 12:29 -0500, Sami Wagiaalla wrote:
>
>> Mark Wielaard wrote:

>>> Yes, I think that would be very valuable.
>>>
>> I have been looking into this a little bit. What we need is a content
>> management system with perhaps a wiki component. Asking around I was
>> given the following suggestions:
>>
>> - Joomla
>> - Drupal
>> - MediaWiki
>> - whatever gnome and fedoraproject use cant remember
>>

> fedora hosted uses Trac http://trac.edgewall.org/ it is very nice since
> it is an everything in one solution for a project including bug tracker,
> timelines, wiki, source browser, etc. I had it setup (but with most
> things disabled) when we were experimenting with switching to mercurial:
> http://gnu.wildebeest.org/trac/frysk
>
> I don't have experience with Joomla or Drupal. Mediawiki is nice and
> simple to setup and seems like something a lot of people can instantly
> use.
>
> But I would go with something that sourceware already offers. Especially
> if we can trick Frank into setting it up for us. MoinMoin is pretty
> decent. I just don't know a good solution for the spam issue, except
> monitoring and cleaning it (or disabling new users).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

* Re: Frysk Wiki
@ 2008-03-19  9:05         ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2008-03-19  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Muldoon; +Cc: Sami Wagiaalla, Frysk Hackers, Frank Ch. Eigler

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 14:33 +0000, Phil Muldoon wrote:
> This conversation has stalled. Any last opinions?

Just do it! :)
(aka take whatever Frank can provide us with)

Cheers,

Mark