public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
* ftrace status
@ 2008-04-06  7:37 Petr Machata
From: Petr Machata @ 2008-04-06  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: frysk

I've just pushed huge pile of patches that constitute rewrite of ftrace
so that it uses already present frysk infrastructure, namely breakpoint
manager and breakpoint classes, instead of inventing its own services.
Current status is close to what ftrace used to be capable of doing. Some
things are still not there, but I have non-frysk dues in plan for next
week or two, and don't want to sit on the patchset for uncertain number
of weeks without further progress.

What doesn't work anymore: symbol aliases and ELF symbol versioning are
not handled.  There is at least one mysterious bug that causes something
deep in frysk to place breakpoints to bogus addresses, I haven't had a
time to properly debug it yet.  x86_64 has not seen a single test run,
so chances are ftrace will just collapse there.

On the upside, ftrace now speaks debuginfo, which it didn't used to; and
there are couple new interfaces in Frysk framework, that allow e.g. ELF
symbol table loading or PLT entry computations.  Although cleanups are
due in places.

I've taken the opportunity and changed several commandline arguments
while doing the overall revamp.  Manual page has been updated to reflect
that.

Have fun,
PM

* Re: ftrace status