public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
* [patch ping] Cache system call number
@ 2006-10-30 11:53 qiyaoltc
From: qiyaoltc @ 2006-10-30 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: frysk

Hi, Andrew,

Any comments on this patch about system call number caching?
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/frysk/2006-q4/msg00154.html

If it is OK, I will check it in!  Thanks!

--
Yao Qi

* Re: [patch ping] Cache system call number
@ 2006-10-31 16:39 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2006-10-31 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qiyaoltc; +Cc: frysk

Yao, have the options:

- make signal # an explict syscall-entry parameter
- make signal class an explicit syscall-entry parameter

been explored.  Clients can then cache the entry parameter locally if
they so wish.

I'm not that comfortable with having the task try to cache the most
recent signal: for the code to be robust it will need to also invalidate
that value after syscall exit; all clients will be turning around and
requesting the value any way as their first op, should it just be provided?

Andrew

@ 2006-11-02 10:02   ` Yao Qi
From: Yao Qi @ 2006-11-02 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: frysk; +Cc: Yao Qi

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 11:39:26AM -0500, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> Yao, have the options:
>
> - make signal # an explict syscall-entry parameter
> - make signal class an explicit syscall-entry parameter

Hi, Andrew,
I am confused by "signal" here.  Do you mean "signal" == "syscall"?

> been explored.  Clients can then cache the entry parameter locally if
> they so wish.
>
> I'm not that comfortable with having the task try to cache the most
> recent signal: for the code to be robust it will need to also invalidate
> that value after syscall exit; all clients will be turning around and
> requesting the value any way as their first op, should it just be provided?
First, let us leave alone syscall info cache and value invalidation
after exit syscall.  Clients are notified by means of SyscallObserver
when the task enter and exit a syscall, to fetch the syscall
information.  If clients fetch syscall information at the moment that
no physical syscall happens in the current task, only a meaningless
 or invalid syscall object or a NegativeSyscallNumberExecption could
be got.
Syscall.syscallByNum() could be accessed anytime, regardless the
actual syscall happens or not.  That is to say, invalid syscall object
could be got, even if we do not cache the syscall infor.

There might be some other risks, which we do not realize, if we cache
syscall number, and it is fine to me to cache the syscall number on
client side to fix bug#3010(testSyscallInterrupt fails on ppc64).

--

@ 2006-11-13 21:51     ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2006-11-13 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yao Qi; +Cc: frysk

Yao Qi wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 11:39:26AM -0500, Andrew Cagney wrote:
>
>> Yao, have the options:
>>
>> - make signal # an explict syscall-entry parameter
>> - make signal class an explicit syscall-entry parameter
>>

> Hi, Andrew,
> I am confused by "signal" here.  Do you mean "signal" == "syscall"?

Yao, yes, sorry system call number, vis:

   updateSyscallEnter (Task task, int syscallNumber)

That way all observers of system calls would be, as part of the entry,
be directly notified of which system call is involved; and during exit
that information would clearly not be involved.  The client can then
decided if it wants to retain the value.

Andrew