public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
From: Phil Muldoon <pmuldoon@redhat.com>
Cc: frysk <frysk@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: meeting notes 20070905
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 14:41:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Elena Zannoni wrote:

Some further notes. Minutes as an attachment make in-line comments
painful :(

> Frysk meeting 2007-09-05
>
> Version control systems discussions
>
> Tim Andrew Elena Stan Mark Sami [who else?]

Phil

> Do people that prefer strongly one system have played around with the
> others as well?
>
> Tim --> likes Git, hasn't tried Hg
> Mark --> Hg

Phil --> either, as long as it is not CVS. We have decades of combined
CVS experience, yet there are still mistakes made daily. Some of which
take hours and hours to recover from. At some point have to look at the
tool, and not the developer and perhaps think that a newer, better one
is needed. Personally (further down) there are lots of projects moving
to DCM. Including OpenJDK, Mozilla, Kernel, ASLA, Xen, RPM, etc etc to
name a few. I find the "stay with CVS as it is known" a bit of a false
argument. Borked and old != better.

> Plugins: cvs plugin in eclipse. No other plugins for eclipse.
> cvs module in emacs as well. no emacs modes for git and Hg.

Incorrect at least for Mercurial:

http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/OtherTools

No idea about GiT though I am sure Tim will fill in.

> Advantage over cvs is that one can recover easily from erroneous
> commits, because of the changesets.

Active developer community, saner interface (goodbye to positional
switches!). Trac and Maven integration.

> What projects we know of are using Git and which ones are using Hg?
>
> Git: kernel, libunwind
> Hg: icedtea, openjdk, mozilla
For Mercurial

http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/ProjectsUsingMercurial

I'll fill all this data into the webpage, too.

Regards

Phil