public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@redhat.com>
To: Phil Muldoon <pmuldoon@redhat.com>
Cc: Frysk Hackers <frysk@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: fhpd user interaction (and corefiles)
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 13:50:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Phil Muldoon wrote:
> The question here then: if the LinuxHost code has a question for the
> user, how does it ask that user the question via CoreCommand? As far
> as I can tell, none of the fhpd commands are interactive.
As you point out, the bottom line is fstack et.al., where no interaction
is possible.  The create either succeeds or fails.  With that in mind
can i suggest considering instead how you might interact with this from
a UI.  For instance, would this work:
    ->File->Open
       use file browser to open a core file
    <<Core file assistant appears; perhaps pre-populated with info from
raw core file>>
       - indicates what action is going to happen next, for instance
indicates the executable it will attempt to open (or don't bother)
       - OK attempts to open the executable or fails leaving the user
with the assistant
from a cli, a similar interaction might be:
   (fhpd) core foo
   Executable <exe> for <foo> not found.
   (fhpd) core foo exe                 --- the user is right
   OR
   (fhpd) core foo -noexe
another might be:
   (fhpd) core foo
   Corefile .... of arch ... no executable.      --- printed by fhpd
using stuff from core
   (fhpd) exe ..the-exe...
   Corefile ... of arch ... executable ...      --- intercede the no-exe
core
Each of these are built round the assumption that the code creating the
core file is more predicatable (and more likely to throw an exception)
for instance, interfaces with requirements such as:
   -- create core and must use implicit exe or fail
   -- create core and ignore exe
   -- create core and use explicit EXE

Andrew