public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
* fhpd load/start/run
@ 2008-01-03 16:29 Rick Moseley
From: Rick Moseley @ 2008-01-03 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: frysk

Hi all,

Recently I have been working on the load/start/run command sequence and
I thought I would bring everyone up-to-date on where I am.  I thought I
would give everyone a quick overview of the commands and what they do as
the functionality of the start/run commands changes based on what
context they are executed in.

load - takes a path to an executable as a parameter and allows the user
to examine data from an executable without running it

start - takes a path to an executable as a parameter and runs it to the
first executable instruction; if a start command is executed with no
parameters after a load command, it uses the path to the executable used
in that command to do the same thing; if another start command is issued
subsequently without parameters, the process is killed and a new version
is loaded and rerun to the first executable instruction

Here is a load/start/start command sequence example:

       (fhpd) load ../pkglibdir/funit-threads-looper
        Loaded executable file: ../pkglibdir/funit-threads-looper
        (fhpd) start
        Attached to process 28451
        (fhpd) start
        Killing process 28451
        Loaded executable file:
/home/rmoseley/frysk-git1/build/frysk-core/frysk/pkglibdir/funit-threads-looper
        Attached to process 28456
        (fhpd) where
        [0.0]
        #0 0x00000035ff600ac0 in _start () from /lib64/ld-2.7.so

run - is pretty much exactly the same as the "start" command except the
process is run to the first breakpoint(if there is one) instead of the
first executable instruction; if a run command is issued with no
parameters, then it uses the path to the executable from a previous
start or load command; as with the start command, subsequent run
commands will kill the currently running process and reruns the process
to the first breakpoint(again, if there is one)

Here is an example of a load/run/run sequence:

        (fhpd) load ../pkglibdir/funit-threads-looper
        Loaded executable file: ../pkglibdir/funit-threads-looper
        (fhpd) run
        Attached to process 28727
        Running process 28727
        (fhpd) run
        Killing process 28727
        Loaded executable file:
/home/rmoseley/frysk-git1/build/frysk-core/frysk/pkglibdir/funit-threads-looper
        Attached to process 28741
        Running process 28741

Please note that changes have also been made to the HpdTestbed class to
implement a "start" method(HpdTestbed.start).  I have made the changes
to the existing tests that were using HpdTestbed.run to now use
HpdTestbed.start.

Now, the next thing to get working is the passing of commandline
arguments thru the above sequences.

As always, comments/suggestions/ideas are always welcome.    :-)

Rick

only message in thread, other threads:[~2008-01-03 16:29 UTC | newest]