public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
* [stack] segment only corefiles, and [vdso]
@ 2008-02-26 15:19 Phil Muldoon
From: Phil Muldoon @ 2008-02-26 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frysk Hackers

When I implemented that experimental feature, I only included the
[stack] segment. However on IA32, there is always a visit to the [vdso]
segment which I did not include. Should --stackonly include the [vdso]
segment, and implement a do what I mean, not what I say approach? How
big can the [vdso] segment get? Is it a fixed size?

Regards

* Re: [stack] segment only corefiles, and [vdso]
@ 2008-02-26 15:57 ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2008-02-26 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Muldoon; +Cc: Frysk Hackers

Hi Phil,

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 15:19 +0000, Phil Muldoon wrote:
> When I implemented that experimental feature, I only included the
> [stack] segment. However on IA32, there is always a visit to the [vdso]
> segment which I did not include.

What is the visit from/for?

Cheers,

Mark

* Re: [stack] segment only corefiles, and [vdso]
@ 2008-02-26 16:01   ` Phil Muldoon
From: Phil Muldoon @ 2008-02-26 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard; +Cc: Frysk Hackers

Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 15:19 +0000, Phil Muldoon wrote:
>
>> When I implemented that experimental feature, I only included the
>> [stack] segment. However on IA32, there is always a visit to the [vdso]
>> segment which I did not include.
>>

> What is the visit from/for?

Well it appears to happen on every IA32 process. Why/to ... not terribly
sure other than every process/corefile seems to include a visit there.
just fstack a 32 bit process.

Regards

Phil

@ 2008-02-26 16:16     ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2008-02-26 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Muldoon; +Cc: Frysk Hackers

Hi Phil,

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 16:00 +0000, Phil Muldoon wrote:
> Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 15:19 +0000, Phil Muldoon wrote:
> >> When I implemented that experimental feature, I only included the
> >> [stack] segment. However on IA32, there is always a visit to the [vdso]
> >> segment which I did not include.
> >
> > What is the visit from/for?
>
> Well it appears to happen on every IA32 process. Why/to ... not terribly
> sure other than every process/corefile seems to include a visit there.
> just fstack a 32 bit process.

I assume this is when you fstack a process that was stuck inside a
system call and it tries to do a symbol lookup? I don't know why that
would be x86 specific. But I assume you must include [vdso] because it
isn't available any other way (and even if it was on the system, then
you might be fstacking a core file that comes from a different system
that has a different vsdo layout).

Cheers,

Mark

* Re: [stack] segment only corefiles, and [vdso]
@ 2008-02-26 16:49       ` Phil Muldoon
From: Phil Muldoon @ 2008-02-26 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard; +Cc: Frysk Hackers

Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>

> I assume this is when you fstack a process that was stuck inside a
> system call and it tries to do a symbol lookup? I don't know why that
> would be x86 specific.

It's not a very scientific statement on my behalf, just that I only
observe it on IA32 not on x8664. Sorry should have qualified that up front.

> But I assume you must include [vdso] because it
> isn't available any other way (and even if it was on the system, then
> you might be fstacking a core file that comes from a different system
> that has a different vsdo layout).

Right so --stackonly should include [vdso] then to make the corefile
back trace workable. Strictly speaking we're breaking the contract
there, but oh well.

I think I will replace that (--stack only) option with a regex option
dump instead. For example:

--regex="(heap\|stack\|vdso)"

or something.

Phil