public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
From: Phil Muldoon <pmuldoon@redhat.com>
To: Andrew Cagney <cagney@redhat.com>
Cc: frysk <frysk@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: Re: meeting 2008-03-19 - version numbers
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 16:00:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Andrew Cagney wrote:

> a) move frysk forward to 0.8.x, from 0.0.x
>
> This is to signal that we consider all our tools are minimally at
> alpha (key functionality is present but more to come); and for many
> tools they are actually beta/release quality (e.g., fstack, fcore,
> fcatch).  As fhpd and frysk mature we can move to 0.9 and 1.0.

There was quite a bit of discussion about this in the meeting.  My
biggest issue was messaging to the user/community why we have decided to
do this change. What is our reason for changing from 0.0.1* to 0.8. Is
it a saner system? Are we signaling we are much more stable? In all
aspects or just some? Anyway ...

My questions, (mercifully rendered ;) down to several points:

- I've no objection to this. It moves us to a saner versioning system.  But:

- Discussion: How/should we maintain all the tools at a similar level of
quality, and progression. Is moving to 0.9 going to mean the that the
UI  is in step with fcore, fhpd, and all the others?

- Discussion: What are the criteria for moving major version numbers: ie
0.9, 1.0 and so on? Stability only? Are we going to gate version number
on features? What's the release number to feature road-map? (there was a
long discussion about feature embargo here which is something to really
avoid).

- Discussion: What current tools now merit the alpha (feature complete,
known bugs exist), beta (feature complete, no known bug exist)  and
released state?

- Discussion: Wildcard. Because the tools are of varying maturity, which
differs from the maturity of the ui, which differs from the maturity of
the frysk-core, should a move to 3 (or 4 with -devel) rpms be
considered. Right now I believe we have one srpm/spec file that produces
3 sub-packages.

(I know a lot of these questions were asked and answered in the meeting,
I'm just asking them here as question to answer for the the mailing list
crowd)

> b) move to regular (monthly?) patch-level releases; e.g., 0.8.1,
> 0.8.2, ...
I've no objections to this. But:

- What release schedule? Weekly? Monthly?

- How will we be smoke testing the results to ensure sanity (ie the last
patch pushed screwed some stuff up). Our test cases can catch a lot of
this?  What is the release checklist?

- Because we are moving to a more formal release deadline, how do
development practices  change, if at all?

- What is our release matrix. Fedora 8 now, and Rawhide. But will it
then be F8, F9 and rawhide all in sync? Will the release be to rawhide
first, then a monthly push from rawhide to Fedora *?

- How can we detect regressions in stability and features

Overall I'm really happy to see this. There's lots to think about.

Regards

Phil