public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
From: Phil Muldoon <pmuldoon@redhat.com>
To: Ray Ruvinskiy <rruvinsk@sybase.com>
Cc: frysk@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Debugging a NullPointerException in fstack
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 07:40:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Ray Ruvinskiy wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the report. The first thing I would do is to file a bug at:

http://sourceware.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=frysk

To track the issue. I would not worry too much about semantics of the
bug reports, or whether it is a duplicate. The report itself is valuable
even if it does already exist. Typically when I file a report I'll put
in whether I run Frysk from RPM, or built from source. And what OS you
are running it on. And just include all the output of the tool. If
fstack is failing with an NPE on some processes not others, it is most
certainly a programming error somewhere.

 From a more in depth perspective, if you build from source, you can
test the sanity of your environment particular to your system by running
the Frysk testsuite. I normally cd into frysk-core/ and run
./TestRunner. You can do this from each sub-component, or if you like,
run make check instead.

Lastly if you want to jump straight in, fix the problem yourself, and
submit a patch, try turning debug logging on with something like:

./frysk/bindir/fstack -debug frysk=FINE 1234

But even if you do try to hack on it yourself, please do file a bug and
assign it to yourself. We know who is hacking on what then.

Best of luck and hope to see you on IRC!

Regards

Phil Muldoon