public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
* C++ debugger mailing list
@ 2008-07-04 20:32 Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2008-07-04 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: frysk

I'd like to propose that discussions and planning for this new project
(or rebooted frysk as some have called it) be on a dedicated mailing
list (it can be bootstrapped using frysk's membership), and then we
extend a hand to gdb@ developers inviting them to participate.

I think an invitation to interested gdb developers to something clearly
not frysk and not gdb, would be a strong symbolic gesture to all
concerned that the intent here is inclusion.

Andrew

* Re: C++ debugger mailing list
@ 2008-07-07 18:55 ` Elena Zannoni
From: Elena Zannoni @ 2008-07-07 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: frysk

Andrew Cagney wrote:
> I'd like to propose that discussions and planning for this new project
> (or rebooted frysk as some have called it) be on a dedicated mailing
> list (it can be bootstrapped using frysk's membership), and then we
> extend a hand to gdb@ developers inviting them to participate.
>
> I think an invitation to interested gdb developers to something
> clearly not frysk and not gdb, would be a strong symbolic gesture to
> all concerned that the intent here is inclusion.
>
> Andrew

Can somebody elaborate?
We'd like to participate in these ongoing discussions for the new
project, whatever that is.

thanks
elena

--
Elena Zannoni, Oracle
Senior Engineering Manager, Tools/Languages - Linux Engineering

@ 2008-07-07 20:08   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2008-07-07 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elena Zannoni; +Cc: Andrew Cagney, frysk

Elena> Can somebody elaborate?
Elena> We'd like to participate in these ongoing discussions for the new
Elena> project, whatever that is.

There's a discussion internally about various directional changes.
Some of this is really Red Hat internal stuff; the stuff that isn't
will all be re-discussed publicly in the near future.  I'll try to get
something out this week.

Tom

* Re: C++ debugger mailing list
@ 2008-07-08 13:40   ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2008-07-08 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elena Zannoni; +Cc: frysk

Elena Zannoni wrote:
> Andrew Cagney wrote:
>> I'd like to propose that discussions and planning for this new
>> project (or rebooted frysk as some have called it) be on a dedicated
>> mailing list (it can be bootstrapped using frysk's membership), and
>> then we extend a hand to gdb@ developers inviting them to participate.
>>
>> I think an invitation to interested gdb developers to something
>> clearly not frysk and not gdb, would be a strong symbolic gesture to
>> all concerned that the intent here is inclusion.
>>
>> Andrew
>>

> Can somebody elaborate?
> We'd like to participate in these ongoing discussions for the new
> project, whatever that is.

The goal of the frysk project is to implement an allways on monitoring
and debugging tool, with key focus points being visual or graphical
interface, non-stop and saleability.  And in particular, to not just
re-implement GDB.  This drove decisions such as language choice and
architecture, directions and goals, and also the decision to start with
a relatively clean slate.

Red Hat have decided to withdraw their support for the frysk project and
its goals, and are now instead focusing their efforts on a more clearly
and narrowly defined goal of implement the Best C++ debugger, and in
C++.  Tom is leading this new effort.

This of course leads us to a number of questions that I'm sure you're
too familiar with (having struggled with them at the start of the frysk
project):
-> do you start a new community around a new code base
-> do you fork an existing community and code base; GDB or frysk
-> do you work with an existing community, in particular GDB

A lot has changed over the last few years; for instance GOLD; GCC moving
to C++; and GDB's increased level of activity and functionality.   An
evaluation of the above in light of this new environment, is important.

Finally, a mistake I must recognize with frysk was not trying to engage
the GDB community, and I look forward to seeing that mistake redressed
with this new effort; and that I guess is my motivation for proposing a
neutral discussion ground.   Shall we set something up, gdb++ frysk++ ...?