public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
* Interesting MRG-RT stuff
@ 2008-07-15 20:00 Rick Moseley
From: Rick Moseley @ 2008-07-15 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: frysk; +Cc: Clark Williams

Hi all,

Thanks to Andrew Cagney's chat with Clark Williams at the Engineering
meeting, a new GUI tool was revealed that the MRG-RT team is working on
called Tuna.  Andrew suggested I talk with Clark and get a demo of that
tool as it shows a real-time view of the CPU queue(see attached
screenshot).  Clark gave me a quick demo of that tool and it is pretty
slick.  It was written in Python using the PyGTK bindings and has a lot
of good features they use to tune their real-time kernel.

The nice thing about this is that a lot of nice code has been written to
poll the /proc directory to keep the screen updated accurately with the
latest list of processes and associated threads in the cpu queue.  The
code has been pretty compartmentalized and placed in libraries so we
could re-use it/modify it/whatever for any part of Frysk(GUI,
commandline, etc.) that needs to access the /proc filesystem.  This code
is being maintained on kernel.org.

Anyways, just something else we can use if we want when the time comes.

Rick