public inbox for gas2@sourceware.org
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@cygnus.com>
To: tranle@intellicorp.com
Cc: gas2@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: problem with ld (i386-coff) leaving holes in the
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 1994 06:58:00 -0000	[thread overview]

   Date: Mon, 8 Aug 94 19:47:36 PDT
   From: Minh Tran-Le <TRANLE@intellicorp.com>

   I made ld printout the section name and flags in the case it wants to
   page align it.

   section .text: flags 0x237
   section .data: flags 0x247
   section .comment: flags 0x10203
   section .lib: flags 0x203

Can you find out what SEC_LOAD and SEC_ALLOC are set for all the
sections?  I don't see why they should be set for .comment or .lib.

   I have tried to comment out the code that was doing the page align
   and it cure the problem with emacs unexec without any adverse effect.

Unfortunately, removing the code will break other cases.

   Does all standard COFF linker do this page align thing ? Does emacs unexec
   work fine with them ?

Standard COFF linkers certainly do the page alignment in some form.
In previous versions of the GNU linker, the page alignment was forced
by the linker script.  I added the code in coffcode.h to make the page
alignment work when strip was used and it removed some sections.

Ian